Editor's note: Enroll today in our brand new Mastering Lightroom Classic Secrets course to learn all of Lightroom's hidden tips, tricks and secrets! Limited time only. Thanks for reading, Andrew.
My newest ebook Up Close: A Guide To Macro & Close-Up Photography is published today (scroll down for details of the special offer).
I wrote the first edition of this ebook for Craft and Vision in 2012. It was massively popular and became one of their best-selling ebooks.
Ten years on a lot has changed in the macro photography world. This new edition is updated with all the newest information so you can use the latest techniques and make smart buying decisions. I’ve completely rewritten it, making it longer and much more detailed, and updated all the photos.
Above all, it’s more helpful to you, the reader, and will help you start making better close-up and macro photos today.
As you read through the book you’ll learn about the different ways in which you can get up close to interesting subjects like flowers and insects.
You’ll also learn about macro lenses, extension tubes, close-up lenses and reverse lens macro, and the advantages (and disadvantages) of each method.
As it comes together and you’ll find yourself making stunning close-up and macro photos of flowers, insects and other popular subjects.
The ebook comes in three formats – PDF, epub and mobi for Kindle. That gives you the freedom to use whichever format suits the device you want to read the ebook on best.
Yes, there’s a special offer! To celebrate the publication of Up Close you can buy it for just $10 in May (normal price $14). There’s no code required, we’ve already reduced the price for you.
The price goes up to $14 on June 1, 2022.
Up Close: 10 Creative Ideas For Macro & Close-Up Photos
Your purchase includes Up Close: 10 Creative Ideas for Macro & Close-Up Photos, a PDF with ten creative ideas for you to photograph up close. The idea is to encourage you to go out and put into practice the ideas and techniques you learn in Up Close. You can try one idea a week, or take as long as you want. The choice is yours.
You also get a set of 6 Close-Up PhotoTips Cards that sum up the lessons.
What you will learn
The aim of Up Close is to help you make stronger close-up and macro photos right away.
These are just some of the things that you’ll learn:
- How to make beautiful close-up photos, even if you’re on a budget.
- The difference between macro photography and close-up photography.
- How crop factor can help you get up close to your subject.
- How to test the lenses you already own to see which ones are best for close-up photography.
- How to use extension tubes (and which ones to buy).
- How to use close-up lenses (and which ones to buy).
- Why macro lenses are so good for close-up photography (and more affordable than you might think).
- How to decide what equipment is best for you (and avoid wasting money).
- How to use teleconverters and bellows in macro photography.
- How to do reverse lens macro with one lens or two.
- How to make close-up photos of flowers, insects and spiders.
- How to make close-up photos of food and everyday household items.
- How to focus properly in close-up photography.
- How getting up close affects depth of field, and how to cope with the problems it creates.
- What focus bracketing and focus stacking are and how to do them.
- How to buy and use geared tripod heads and focusing rails.
- How to use and buy macro flash units.
I really enjoyed writing Up Close: A Guide To Macro & Close-Up Photography. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it. Click the link to learn more about the ebook or buy it.