Portrait photography is both challenging and rewarding. Whether your interest is in capturing character or beauty, these tutorials will help you gain the skills you need to create stunning portraits.
Natural light portraits
Natural light is cheap, readily available and perfect for capturing both beauty and character in your portraits. Learn how to harness the power and beauty of natural light with these portrait tutorials.
- Why You Should Use Natural Light For Portraits
- How to Shoot Natural Light Portraits Successfully
- Three Steps to Better Portrait Composition
- How To Capture Character In Portrait Photography
- Three Tips for Better Black and White Portraits
- Improve your Portrait Photography With This Simple Exercise
Portrait photography techniques
These tutorials will help you master the technical aspects of portrait photography.
Family portrait photography
Making portraits of family and friends is one of the most rewarding types of portrait photography. These tutorials will help you make beautiful portraits of your loved ones.
- What’s The Best Lens For Family Portraits?
- How To Photograph Siblings At Home
- How To Get Great Newborn Baby Photos At Home
- How To Photograph Young Children Outdoors
- Photographing Children The Simple Way
How to develop portraits in Lightroom Classic
These tutorials teach you how to create beautiful portraits in Lightroom Classic. They open in our sister website Mastering Lightroom.
- Four Reasons For Retouching Portraits in Lightroom
- How to Retouch Portraits in Lightroom Classic
- Are You Making These Seven Common Portrait Retouching Mistakes?
- How to Develop Portraits in Lightroom With the Vintage Portrait Presets
- My Lightroom Workflow (A Professional Portrait Photographer’s Perspective)
Portrait photography resources
Our photography ebooks are beautifully designed and thoughtfully written with the intention of helping you create better images and explore the wonderful craft of photography. They’re also great value. Each ebook is available for immediate download as a PDF file optimised for viewing on your computer screen or an iPad.
Learn more about portrait photography with our ebooks and Lightroom Classic presets. Click the links to learn more about each one.
The Natural Portrait ebook
The Natural Portrait teaches you how to make stunning portraits that capture beauty and character. You will learn how to find a model, where to get inspiration for great portrait concepts, how to handle a shoot from start to finish, including posing, and how to develop your portraits in Lightroom Classic, ON1 Photo Raw or Alien Skin Exposure.
The Candid Portrait ebook
There are lots of questions that photographers have when starting out in street photography. Is it safe? How do you take photos of people without them noticing? What lenses should you use? Do you need model release forms? What are your legal rights?
And most importantly – how do you make beautiful photos that capture the atmosphere and vitality of the street?
The Candid Portrait answers these questions and takes you on a journey through the world of street and travel photography.
Vintage Portrait Presets for Lightroom Classic
Have you ever tried to develop portraits in Lightroom Classic and been disappointed with the results? Do your portraits look artificial or plasticky rather than natural? The Vintage Portrait Presets solve that problem. Created with portrait photographers in mind, they give you 31 different vintage looks you can apply to your portraits with a single mouse-click.
Buy or learn more about the Vintage Portrait Presets for Lightroom Classic