STORE > THE MAGIC OF BLACK & WHITE
(all prices in USD)
This month only: Save $6 on this ebook today when you enter the code bw6 at checkout. The discount also applies to The Magic of Black & White three book bundle.
The Magic of Black & White takes you on a journey exploring powerful ideas that help you make better black and white photos.
As you read through the book you’ll start to see the world as lines, shapes, tones, patterns and textures – the building blocks of black and white photography. Then you’ll start to learn how good black and white photographers think as well as see. As it comes together and you’ll find yourself making stunning black and white photos that capture the true character of your subject.
The Magic of Black & White is written for you.
- It teaches you how to see in black and white.
- It shows you how to become a better photographer (many of the ideas apply to color photography as well).
- It’s easy to read. The book comes in three formats – PDF, ePub and Mobi for Kindle so you can choose the one that is best for your device.
- It’s practical. You can treat each chapter as a creative exercise and go out and put the lesson into action.
- It has depth and will become an invaluable reference guide you’ll return to again and again as your understanding of black and white deepens.
What you will learn
The aim of The Magic of Black & White is to help you make stronger black and white photos right away.
These some of the things you’ll learn in this ebook:
- Why black and white is so popular with photographers.
- How to capture mood and atmosphere with black and white.
- Why black and white is perfect for capturing the character of both people and places.
- The common misconceptions that stop people becoming good black and white photographers.
- Which camera settings are important for black and white photography.
- Why it’s so important to connect with your subject.
- The key elements of composition in black and white.
- How to use light effectively in black and white photography, and why it’s different from color.
- How to see when a scene will look good in black and white.
- The role of shadow and contrast in black and white.
- How to use storytelling to make more powerful black and white photos.
- How to add drama and excitement to your black and white photos.
- How to capture the spirit of place with black and white.
- Which software to use to develop your black and white photos.
- How to become a better black and white photographer through themes and projects.
- Why it’s so important to print your black and white photos and make photo books.
The story behind the book
Eleven years ago I wrote an ebook for Craft & Vision called The Magic of Black & White. Now, eleven years later it’s time for this second edition. I’m a better writer and photographer and the new edition reflects that evolution. It’s longer, more detailed and above all more helpful to you, the reader.
As you read this book you’ll learn how to see in black and white, how to get into the mindset of a good black and white photographer, and what you can do with your photos after you’ve made them. Compared to the first edition, I’ve updated the photos and gone deeper into the art and craft of black and white. And like the first edition, I hope it encourages you to go out and explore the magic of black and white for yourself.
The Seven Week Black & White Challenge
Your purchase includes the Seven Week Black & White Challenge, a PDF with seven challenges for you to photograph in black and white. The idea is to encourage you to go out and put into practice the ideas you’ve learned in The Magic of Black & White. You can do one assignment a week, or take as long as you want. The choice is yours.
Each assignment is easy to carry out close to your home. I’ve illustrated each challenge with a photo that I made within a 20 minute walk of my house. You don’t need any special gear, you can even use a smartphone camera. Upload the PDF to your phone so you can check out the challenges wherever you are.
Download your copy today
Click the Buy Now button to make your purchase and start reading your copy of The Magic of Black & White right away. Payment is by PayPal or credit card.
What others are saying
“I purchased your new ebook; brilliant.” – Paul
“I love your ebooks and have become a much better photographer thanks to you.” – Hugh
I’m so confident that my ebooks will help improve your photography that I give you an unconditional guarantee. If, for any reason, you’re not satisfied with your purchase just let me know within two months and I’ll refund the purchase price in full, no questions asked.
Save money with the following bundles.
Buy The Magic of Black & White and The Magic of Black & White: 50 Assignments together for just $20.
Buy The Black & White Landscape and The Magic of Black & White together for just $20.
Or buy The Magic of Black & White bundle for just $29.
Here are some sample pages from the book.
The Magic of Black & White ebook
Title: The Magic of Black & White
Length: 90 double page spreads
Words: approx 20,000
Format: PDF, Epub and Kindle Mobi 8. You can view the PDF of The Magic of Black & White using the free Adobe reader software on any PC or tablet. You can also read it on the iPad using iBooks – it has been optimized for iPad viewing. You can read the epub or mobi versions on tablets and smart phones.
Part I: Getting started
Why black and white?
Mood, simplicity and character
How good black and white photographers think
Connection, expression, emotion and fine art
Part II: Composition
How to see in black and white
Line or leading lines
Negative Space and minimalism
Shadow and contrast
Shape, pattern and form
Background, bokeh and depth of field
Balance, placement and visual mass
Foreground interest and active skies
Part III: Light
Adapt to the light
Direction and hardness
Dramatic light and backlight
Part IV: Subject
Travel and street photography
Part V: After the capture
Why develop black and white photos?
Lightroom Classic and Photoshop
Silver Efex Pro and Topaz B&W Effects
DxO FilmPack and Exposure
ON1 Photo Raw and Luminar
The principles of developing good black and white photos
The power of projects
Build a portfolio website
Make a photo book
Print your best photos
Thanks for reading. You can get more great articles and tips about photography in my popular Mastering Photography email newsletter. Join today and I’ll send you 47 PhotoTips cards and my ebook Introducing Lightroom Classic . Over 30,000 photographers subscribe. Enter your email now and join us.