Editor's note: Our latest Lightroom ebook is here – get Mastering Lightroom Classic: The Library Module for just $8 with the code April7. 🙂 (limited time offer)
Instagram has become a popular photo sharing and social media website with photographers (not to mention food bloggers), but it is not as easy to post photos directly from Lightroom to Instagram as it is to a website like Flickr.
The reason is that Instagram retains an idiosyncrasy originating from its start as an iPhone app – you can only add photos to your account from within the app itself, not the Instagram website.
If you are Lightroom Classic subscriber you can use the Lightroom CC app for mobile (formerly known as Lightroom mobile) to simplify the process. The instructions below show you how to do it (scroll down for an alternative if you’re not a Lightroom CC app user).
How to share photos in Instagram from Lightroom
1. Create a Collection in Lightroom for storing photos which you will share on Instagram. Make sure you tick the Sync with Lightroom CC box (marked below).
2. When you add photos to this Collection, Lightroom creates Smart Previews (if they don’t already exist) and synchronizes with Lightroom CC for mobile.
Read The Ultimate Guide to Using Smart Previews in Lightroom to learn more about this process.
3. Open Lightroom CC for mobile. Your photos will appear there once the two programs have synchronized (below).
4. Tap on a photo to view it full size, then tap the share icon in the top right corner (the one with the arrow pointing upwards out of a box, see below).
5. Tap Open In…, select Small – 2048px for Image Size, then tap the Instagram icon to upload the photo straight to your feed. If you want to add the photo to your story, use the Import with Instagram icon instead.
6. Write a caption for your photo, including any hashtags you want to add, and tap Share. Lightroom CC for mobile publishes the photo on Instagram.
What if I don’t have Lightroom CC for mobile?
If you don’t have Lightroom mobile there are a couple of alternatives.
1. Export your photos to your smart phone or tablet with Dropbox. Simplify the process by making an Export preset or Publish Service to save the photos in your Dropbox folder. Go to the Dropbox app on your mobile device and open your photos in the Instagram app.
2. Download the LR/Instagram plugin and use it to publish photos directly to Instagram. That’s covered in our tutorial How to Upload Photos to Instagram With the LR/Instagram Plugin
Mastering Lightroom Classic: The Library Module
Our new ebook Mastering Lightroom Classic: The Library Module is available now. This massive 283 page ebook is the ultimate guide to Lightroom’s Library module. It covers everything you need to know, from import to export to organizing and searching your photos.
Buy it now for just $8 (that’s $7 off the regular price of $15) using the code April7 at checkout.