Editor's note: It's time to master your black and white photography skills! You can grab our new video course The Art of Black and White in Lightroom Classic now for just $15 (normal price $20) with the code march5. Thanks for reading, Andrew.
Instagram has become a popular photo sharing and social media website with photographers (not to mention food bloggers), but it is not as easy to post photos directly from Lightroom Classic to Instagram as it is to a website like Flickr.
The reason is that Instagram retains an idiosyncrasy originating from its start as an iPhone app – you can only add photos to your account from within the app itself, not the Instagram website.
If you are Lightroom Classic subscriber you can use the Lightroom app for mobile (formerly known as Lightroom mobile and Lightroom CC) to simplify the process. The instructions below show you how to do it (scroll down for an alternative if you have Lightroom 6 or older).
How to share photos in Instagram from Lightroom Classic
1. Create a Collection in Lightroom Classic for storing photos which you will share on Instagram. Make sure you tick the Sync with Lightroom box (marked below).
2. When you add photos to this Collection, Lightroom Classic creates Smart Previews (if they don’t already exist) and synchronizes with Lightroom for mobile.
Read The Ultimate Guide to Using Smart Previews in Lightroom to learn more about this process.
3. Open Lightroom for mobile. Your photos will appear there once the two programs have synchronized (below).
4. Tap on a photo to view it full size, then tap the share icon in the top right corner (the one with the arrow pointing upwards out of a box, see below).
5. Tap Open In…, select Small – 2048px for Image Size, then tap the Instagram icon to upload the photo straight to your feed. If you want to add the photo to your story, use the Import with Instagram icon instead.
6. Write a caption for your photo, including any hashtags you want to add, and tap Share. Lightroom for mobile publishes the photo on Instagram.
What if I don’t have Lightroom for mobile?
If you don’t have Lightroom for mobile there are a couple of alternatives.
1. Export your photos to your smart phone or tablet with Dropbox. Simplify the process by making an Export preset or Publish Service to save the photos in your Dropbox folder. Go to the Dropbox app on your mobile device and open your photos in the Instagram app.
2. Download the LR/Instagram plugin and use it to publish photos directly to Instagram. That’s covered in our tutorial How to Upload Photos to Instagram With the LR/Instagram Plugin
The next steps
If you’d like to learn more about Lightroom I suggest you sign up to our Introducing Lightroom Classic free email course. We’ll send five free Lightroom Classic lessons straight to your inbox! And while you’re here, don’t forget to check out our Mastering Lightroom Classic ebook bundle (see below).
The Mastering Lightroom Classic ebook bundle
It’s time to take the next step on your Lightroom Classic journey!
These ebooks guide you through every aspect of Lightroom Classic with over 730 pages of easy to follow, clearly written instructions.
Learn how to import and organize your photos, create beautiful printed books and websites, and become a Lightroom ninja in the Develop module.
You can buy the ebooks individually for $15 each or the bundle for just $29 (saving a whopping $16 over the individual prices!).
Black & White in Lightroom Classic
Discover how to make beautiful black and white photos in Lightroom Classic with our new video course The Art of Black & White in Lightroom Classic. Get 25% off if you buy before March 31 with the code march5!