Good composition is one of the elements that elevates the work of the best photographers above the rest. These tutorials will help you master the art of composition in photography.
Popular composition tutorials
These are some of our most popular composition tutorials. We’ve broken them down into topics for you. First, the rules.
The rules of photographic composition
- How To Use The Rules Of Composition
- Composition By Numbers
- Framing, Placement and Composition
- How to Use Negative Space in Composition
- Beyond the Rule of Thirds
- The Three S’s of Composition
- Four Ways To Develop Your Visual Intuition
- The 15 Day Photography Composition Challenge
- How To Make Interesting Photos
- Five Things Nobody Tells You About Composition
- Five Simple Tips for Better Composition
- Four Composition Techniques To Improve Your Photos
- 15 Composition Tips For Better Photos
- Six Things The Square Format Teaches You About Composition
- Two Expert Composition Ideas For Photographers
- How to Create Moody Photos
- Composition Advice From Pro Photographer Bob Holmes
- Four Ways To Stop Making Boring Photos
- Four Composition Mistakes All Photographers Make
Composition and color
- How to Use Color Contrast in Composition
- How to Use a Limited Color Palette in Photography
- How to Create Mood in Color Photos
- How to Add Drama and Mystery to Photos
- Color or Black and White?
Advanced composition techniques
- How To Make Better Photos Using Layers In Composition
- Four Ways To Add Depth To Photos
- Three More Ways To Add Depth To Your Photos
- Create Dramatic Photos with Shadow and Contrast
- How to Use Figure to Ground in Photography
- How To Use Balance In Composition
- How to Simplify Composition with Telephoto Lenses
- Composition and Filling the Frame
- How Focal Length and Aperture Affect Composition
Light and composition
- How To Take Beautiful Photos With Low Light Photography
- How To Use The Blue Hour In Photography
- How To Use The Golden Hour In Photography
- Five Strategies For Coping With Hard Light In Photography
- How To Use Soft Light In Photography
Our photography ebooks are beautifully designed and thoughtfully written with the intention of helping you create better images and explore the wonderful craft of photography. They’re also great value. Each ebook is available for immediate download as a PDF file optimised for viewing on your computer screen or an iPad.
Learn more about photographic composition and learning to see with our composition ebooks. Click the links to learn more about each one.
Mastering Composition Book One ebook
Mastering Composition takes you on a journey beyond the rule of thirds and explores all the principles of composition you need to understand in order to create beautifully designed and emotive photos.
Mastering Composition Book Two ebook
Mastering Composition Book Two is for photographers who want to move beyond the so called rules and learn the deeper principles of composition.
It builds on the lessons learned in Mastering Composition and gives you the tools you need to compose dramatic photos that capture mood and atmosphere.
Square explores the square format from the digital photographer’s perspective. It shows you how to use the square format on your camera, and how to make the most out of what I think of as the fine art photographer’s format.