Working in black and white is the ultimate test of your photography skills. This page lists our most popular black and white photography tutorials and resources.
Editor’s note: Grab our latest ebook The Magic of Black & White: 50 Assignments for just $10 today (the price goes up to $14 on July 1)! Click the link to learn more.
Popular black and white photography tutorials
These are some of our most popular black and white photography tutorials.
Getting started in black and white
- Black & White Lesson 1: How To Appreciate Black And White Photography
- Black & White Lesson 2: Two Black And White Photography Tips For Beginners
- Black & White Lesson 3: Do You Make These Common Black And White Photography Mistakes?
- Black & White Lesson 4: How To Develop Better Black and White Photos In Lightroom
- Black & White Photography Photo Tips Cards
Black and white photography
- How to See in Black and White
- How To Take Beautiful Black & White Photos
- How To Improve Your Black And White Photography
- Seven Black & White Assignments Results
- Five Reasons Every Photographer Should Try Black & White Photography
- How to Make Better Black & White Photos With Texture
Black and white landscape photography
- Get Creative With Intentional Camera Movement
- Why I Did An Infrared Conversion To My X-Pro 1 Camera
- Seven Ways to Make Better Black and White Landscape Photos
- How to Use Texture to Make Better Black & White Landscape Photos
- How to Find Interesting Locations for Black & White Landscape Photography
- How to Add Foreground Interest to Make Your Landscape Photos Better
- What I Learned About Landscape Photography in Northern Spain
Black and white in Lightroom Classic
- How To Dodge And Burn Black And White Photos In Lightroom Classic
- Seven Common Black and White Photography Mistakes in Lightroom Classic
- How To Develop Better Black and White Photos In Lightroom
- Make Better Black and White Photos in Lightroom Classic with Clarity
- How to Create the Black & White Matte Look in Lightroom
- How to Use The SuperBlack Presets For Lightroom
- How to Tone Black & White Photos in Lightroom Classic with the Color Grading Panel
- Split Toning Black & White Photos in Lightroom 6
- 5 Reasons to Develop Black and White Photos in Lightroom Classic
Black and white plugins for Lightroom Classic
- The Best Lightroom Classic Alternatives for Black & White Photography
- A Brief Guide To Silver Efex Pro 2
- How To Bring Old Processes Back To Life With Topaz B&W Effects
- Why I Use Exposure X5 for Black and White
Join our 5 Steps to Better B&W Photography free email course!
Start your black and white journey now. Get five free lessons plus weekly tips and tips when you join our newsletter 🙂 No spam, ever!
Black and white photography resources
Our photography ebooks are beautifully designed and thoughtfully written with the intention of helping you create better images and explore the wonderful craft of photography. They’re also great value. Each ebook is available for immediate download as a PDF file optimised for viewing on your computer screen or an iPad.
Learn more about black and white photography with our ebooks and Lightroom Classic presets. Click the links to learn more about each one.
The Magic of Black & White ebook
The Magic of Black & White takes you on a journey exploring powerful ideas that help you make better black and white photos. Buy it today for just $10 (normal price $14).
The Black & White Landscape ebook
This ebook explores the techniques you need to take good quality monochrome landscapes. It also covers advanced topics like long exposure photography and infrared photography in depth.
The Black & White Landscape Companion ebook
The Black & White Landscape Companion ebook contains case studies with twelve talented black and white landscape photographers including Håkan Strand, Trevor Cotton and Arnaud Bertrande.
SuperBlack Presets for Lightroom Classic
60+ Develop Presets to help you create stunning black and white photos in Lightroom Classic or Lightroom 6.
The Art of Black & White in Lightroom Classic
A video course that teaches you how to create stunning black and white photos in Lightroom Classic or Lightroom 6.