Editor's note: Our newest ebook is here....grab The Magic of Black & White for just $10 today! Thanks for reading! Andrew.
Every two or three years I ask our newsletter subscribers to take part in a readers’ survey. It’s something I like to do as it helps me learn more about you and what you’d like to see on the website in the near future.
Here are the results from this year’s survey.
Which age group do you fit in?
Of the people who responded to the survey it nearly 97% are over 46, and over 89% over 55. The readership of the site has aged slightly since the last survey. Of course, it may mean that young people are less likely to fill in surveys. But it’s more likely they’re learning from YouTube.
Which category best describes the sort of photographer you are?
No surprises here. Most of you describe yourselves as advanced enthusiasts.
Which topics do you enjoy reading about most on The Creative Photographer?
Our landscape photography tutorials are the most popular on the websit – 80% of you like them. They’re closely followed by Lightroom Classic, composition and creative photography tips. The least popular categories are web design for photographers, portrait photography and photographing kids. This is a similar result to our last survey in 2018.
Which subjects would you like us to write about in the future?
Landscape photography is the winner again. The least popular was web photographing kids, with just 16% of the vote. There’s a new category, printing photos, and I’m going to write more about this topic later in the year.
Suggestions for other topics included night photography, Photoshop and architectural photography.
Which of these would you like to see in the future from The Creative Photographer?
Articles written by other photographers is the most popular request here. I’m working on that, so keep an eye on the newsletter for an update later in the year.
If you’re a Creative Photographer Magazine subscriber, which sections do you enjoy?
I’ve always enjoyed competitions in photography magazines, so I was a little surprised to see our Readers’ challenge rate so low. If you have an alternative suggestion I’d love to hear it – you can leave a comment below or reply to our newsletter to let me know about it.
If you’re a Creative Photographer Magazine subscriber, what features would you like us to add?
There were some great suggestions here. These are some of my favorites.
- Contests and portfolio reviews.
- Suggested projects with advice on how to go about them.
- Maybe a review of one piece of unique/uncommon gear a month?
- Evaluation of photos. How to decide what to keep and what to delete.
- Similar to the “Behind the Photo” article, a segment on reviewing a photo by someone else, with your interpretation, and what message the photographer intended. Showing how diverse interpretations can be…
Is there anything else you’d like to add? Let us know what you’d like to see on The Creative Photographer website in the future and what educational resources you’d like us to create.
Some more great suggestions here (thanks to everybody who contributed, it’s a great help). Here are some more of my favorites.
- A certificated course, i.e. macro or black and white. Not too broad scoped, but more narrowly defined, perhaps in line with some of the published books.
- Studio lighting on a budget.
- Affinity Photo as it’s taking over from the expensive Adobe products.
- Monthly photo competitions to help me to develop my photo skills.